Obama Makes First $500 Million Payment For Paris Climate Change Agreement

Obama on Mizzou

Remember when Obama recently went to Paris and agreed to commit massive amounts of U.S. tax dollars to fighting climate change? He just made the first payment.

The Guardian reports:

Obama administration pays out $500m to climate change project

The Obama administration has made a first installment on its $3bn pledge to help poor countries fight climate change – defying Republican opposition to the president’s environmental plan.

The $500m payment to the Green Climate Fund was seen as critical to shoring up international confidence in Barack Obama’s ability to deliver on the pledges made at the United Nations’ climate change conference in Paris in late 2015.

Obama is expected to announce a number of joint climate initiatives when Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau visits Washington this week, sources familiar with the plans said.

The White House is also working with United Nations officials to encourage countries to formally approve the Paris climate agreement ahead of a signing ceremony on 22 April.

At least 55 countries, representing at least 55% of global climate emissions, must ratify the agreement before it formally takes effect.

Administration officials said the initial $500m payment to the Green Climate Fund demonstrated that Obama would follow through on the promises of last December’s Paris climate agreement – despite February’s setback at the supreme court and threats by Republican presidential candidates to dismantle Obama’s agenda.

“Today, the United States provided a $500m grant to the Green Climate Fund,” a state department official said. “This grant is the first step toward meeting the president’s commitment of $3bn to the GCF, and shows that the United States stands squarely behind our international climate commitments.”

He sure is good at spending other people’s money, isn’t he?

Get news like this in your Facebook News Feed,
Progressives Today

  • the_strickler

    Was this authorized by Congress?

    Can you image President Trump giving away money like this?

    • SineWaveII

      Yes. It was in the omnibus

    • mg4us

      The Green Climate Fund will first pay their administrative expense and perks. . consuming 98% of the money given. . leaving a whopping 2% to fund programs. . .

      No wonder the US is broke. .Obama has no clue on how to negotiate a deal let alone make an investment!

      • olddog

        This is a TOTAL SCAM…Extortion Racket ON ROIDS, based on a LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • gsp9993

    We used to call this charity

  • gsp9993

    You didn’t earn that. I want my money back.

  • taxpayer22

    No wonder we are broke. by design.

  • SineWaveII

    And of course he was only able to do that thanks to mcconnell and ryan. When do we get to empty their bank accounts?

  • bifski

    al-barry luvs these non binding agreements…traitor

  • olddog

    total SCAM..The UN/NWO/Control Freaks HAVE TO BE ELIMINATED!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Geepa

    Does Mr. Trump or Mr. Cruz know about this? They need to publicize this in their speeches.

  • Mary Stevens

    I bet this money goes the way of the funds given out by LBJ in the War on Poverty Program.